Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Tune-In Tuesday: Moving Beyond Marie Claire

As many "healthy living bloggers" may already know, there was recently a controversial article published in Marie Claire magazine. The article, titled "The Hunger Diaries: How Health Writing Could Be Putting You at Risk," took a very critical, negative stance toward some of my favorite blogs: Carrots N Cake, Meals and Miles, Healthy Tipping Point, and three others.

Although the piece raised some legitimate issues, I felt that the content was presented in a malicious manner. Many even considered it hypocritical for the magazine to criticize these well-meaning women when the publication frequently posts articles showing size zero models and get-thin-quick tips.

Basically, the whole thing made me think twice about the type of magazines I buy.This Tune-In Tuesday post will list the magazines I do enjoy reading. These publications made the list because they provide mostly reasonable, healthy, realistic cooking/fitness/lifestyle tips.







What are your favorite magazines? What are your thoughts on the Marie Claire article?

Today's Recommended Read: In Conversation with Eco-Chef Louisa Shafia (civileats.com)

8 comments:

  1. i have read the Marie Claire article. I found it biased and mean. But I thought it raised some interesting points and I was disappointed that they were brushed off along with the rest of the article and that no discussion about these subjects was launched in the blogging world.

    I kind of like Self too, though after subscribing to it for a year or so, I find it repetitive. I like its lifestyle approach but the workouts are kind of too easy. For those, I like runner's world and oxygen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ATM, I LOVE everyday with rachel ray and cooking light. i especially love that rachel ray's mag seems so carefree.
    I agree with you on the marie claire article. it could have brought the point they were trying to make up in a less malicious way. journalism should highlight the good and the bad - and marie claire highlighted solely the bad...regardless of how may people they've changed for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @greekmelie I've never read Oxygen actually, but I'll definitely give it a look! Thanks!

    @healthyexposures Exactly. It felt like a high school rant where the author was just trying to stir up drama. I wish it had been less biased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Real Simple is my favorite!! I also love Runners World, Self, Shape, Glamour, and Health :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Bon Appetit, Shape, Women's Health and Chatelaine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Rachel Ray too! I also love Food Network magazine!

    I want to get a subscription to Runner's World and other running and fitness magazines. Also some healthy cooking ones! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, the Marie Claire article was just malicious. I won't be reading that magazine any longer.

    I LOVE Cooking Light. Probably not too surprising, but it's my favorite time of the month when it arrives in my mailbox :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love Rachael Ray Mag and Women's Health.

    ReplyDelete