Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Whatever Wednesday: Meeting Buddy from Cake Boss

I wish I could change the theme title of today’s post from Whatever Wednesday to WONDERFUL Wednesday! I wouldn’t call meeting one of your favorite TV personalities a “whatever” experience.

Last week, I had the great fortune to attend a book signing for that lovable star of TLC’s baking show, Cake Boss. Buddy Valastro’s food is not exactly nutritional, but balancing healthy foods with indulgences and admiring those who pursue careers in what they love to do are certainly EYC-approved concepts!
The book itself, called Cake Boss: Stories and Recipes from Miz Famiglia, details the only-in-America story of how Buddy’s Italian family created Carlo’s Bake Shop in Hoboken, supplemented by vibrant photographs of tiramisus, cannoli, cakes, and more, along with detailed recipes.
What I love most about Cake Boss is not the culinary creations themselves, but rather the familial aspect of the series. From mischievous cousins to loud-mouthed sisters, members of Buddy’s family are constantly working in or wandering through the bakery. Pranks are pulled, friendly tiffs are frequent, and laughs are always shared.
My favorite feature on Cake Boss is the creation of the lobster tail. No, this is not some sort of seafood dish. A lobster tail is a flaky, crispy pastry shell (made from sfogliatelle dough) shaped like its namesake and filled with a custard cream. 
Sadly, the book warns the reader, “Unless you are a professional baker, and an accomplished one at that, you probably shouldn’t try to make these. I’ve seen grown men brought to the brink of tears trying to make sfogliatelle.” I may not be able to make this pastry, but it did spark a conversation between Buddy and me!
As I approached Buddy at the book signing table, I knew I only had a few seconds before the Barnes and Noble staff ushered me to keep moving. After shaking his hand and placing my open book on the table, I decided to say what was on my mind: “I love the episode where you made the lobster tails, and I’m so happy you decided to include the recipe in the book!”  Not exactly the deepest thoughts to share with this master baker, but Buddy gave a round-cheeked smile and laughed. “That’s definitely not a beginner’s recipe, but it’s definitely a worthwhile thing to learn.” He personalized a signing of my book, and then Jenny's day=made!
I actually have yet to try the lobster tail pastry! Next time I visit Mike’s Pastries in the North End of Boston, I must resist my typical chocolate chip cannoli and give the tail a try. Curious about this treat? The following clip shows Buddy’s explanation of the pastry:


Are you a Cake Boss fan? Have you ever been to a celebrity book signing? 
And most importantly, have YOU ever tried a Lobster Tail before?

11 comments:

  1. What an awesome experience! I LOVE Carlo's, it was right around the corner from my office in Hoboken, and well, that was not always easy to balance with healthy, especially after a bad day!

    Glad you got to meet Buddy! He's AWESOME and so TALENTED!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH!!!! That is amazing! You have some of the coolest experiences ever. I cannot wait to hear all about it. Maybe sometime we should all make a trip to Carlo's just to try some Lobster tails :) In the meantime, I'm totally stealing that book over break to check out some of his recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great experience! I have run celebrity book signings before for my husband and the book he put out with Rosario Dawson and they are crazy! I have never even heard of a lobster tail, but now I am totally intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE BUDDY!!!!...and that is all i shall say about that

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buddy is the BEST!! I agree with Sophie :)

    Never been to a book signing. It sounds awesome. Lobster tail video looks so good...I definitely want to get his book now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cake Boss is one of those shows that my mom always has on in the background, but I've never really watched it! Lobster tails sound pretty amazing though!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I once tasted a lobster tail. Good but a billion calories. Canoli's rule !!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG. You got to meet Buddy!! I am so incredibly jealous of you. I am addicted to that show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cake Boss is incredible!!! In Italy they don't see often, but when I was in U.S. I watched a lot of episodes. You were lucky to have know him..

    ReplyDelete
  10. @K Please do! Maybe you can figure out how to make the lobster tail, and I can take care of the consumption ;)

    ReplyDelete