Thursday, November 18, 2010

Thirsty Thursday: The Great Debate (DD vs Starbucks)

Today's Thirsty Thursday post looks at two major providers of the infamous student stimulant, COFFEE.

When it comes to purchasing your cup of Joe for the day, do you tend to go to Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts? (Loving the below graphic from seattlepi.com!)
I decided to take this matter into my own hands and conduct my own survey. Armed with my flip cam, I compiled, THE GREAT DEBATE! Enjoy!
The other week in my Corporate Communications class, we discussed the marketing strategies of these two stores. It was amazing how many details my fellow classmates knew about each store, from discrepancies in cup size to the amount of ice put in the iced coffees.

It seemed that the biggest factors affecting where students decide to satisfy their coffee cravings are distance, price, taste, and atmosphere.

Dunkin’ Donuts was described as being cheaper, targeting the “common man” (exemplified by their “Box o’ Joe” offering), offering a wide variety of flavors, and meant to be taken to-go. Starbucks was described as a trendy place offering a comfortable, homework-friendly atmosphere, an elite feel, and a more prominent focus on sustainability practices.

In Massachusetts, Dunkin' Donuts outnumbers Starbucks almost 10:1, according to this Boston Globe article. The graphic displays all of the Dunkin' Donuts shops with a red marker and the Starbucks shops with a green marker.
An upcoming post will highlight the benefits of drinking tea over coffee, but for now, let’s focus on the health benefits of coffee!
  • It can help digestion: The natural diuretic powers of coffee can help you…clear your system…before a big race.
  • It can increase endurance and performance: Coffee can improve coordination and athletic performance.
  • It can reduce risk of liver cirrhosis: Risks are reduced by 80% if you drink 2 cups of coffee daily.
  • It contains antioxidants: Antioxidants protect you from damage caused by free radicals.
For more information, I’ve compiled a list of helpful, interesting articles:

Benefits of Coffee

Personally, I prefer Starbucks because, as a non-coffee-drinker, I like to go there for their Chai Tea Lattes.

Weigh in on The Great Debate: Do you prefer Starbucks or Dunkin’ Donuts?

16 comments:

  1. Interesting post! I'm not much of a coffee person (caffeine makes my heart rate go up too fast!), but when I do drink coffee occasionally, I go to Starbucks. I love their seasonal drinks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love those chocolate covered graham crackers!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post! I visited Boston recently and the amount of Dunkin Donuts is just insane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that image!! Personally I'm a Dunkin' Donuts girl myself but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that I've lived in the Boston area all my life and while "American runs on Dunkin'", Boston BLEEDS it!

    Great post! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely a Starbucks gal. They are much more consistent and have more options. And going to the store/hanging out is relaxing, not hectic! I also very much appreciates Starbuck's healthier offerings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that is so funny how people would compare things like how much ice is in the drink. Personally, I am a starbucks gal myself. I think in vegas there are much easier to find. I do know cost is more so I try to just moderate how often I have them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. neither...Im a Caribou girl :) LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i recently started drinking green tea before a run and it really does help in muscle performance! i've never tried Dunkin, so i guess Starbucks gets my vote :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dunkin Donuts coffee and Boston creme donut. Life is good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I go to Massachusetts all the time and there is a Dunkin' Donuts on every corner!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @givinganythingbutup I don't think I've seen many Caribou Coffees in Boston, although I used to go to one in DC all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've actually been off coffee for three weeks now because of migraines and have re-fallen in love with Chai Tea Lattes at Starbucks. Add a shot of pumpkin spice for a real indulgent treat!

    They just opened a DD on the Corner at UVA and people LOVE it. I haven't tried it yet, but I just may after reading this!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here in Charlottesville, a Dunkin Donuts just opened on the Corner, which is a small strip of stores and restaurants/shops located close to our campus. We have a Starbucks as well, and I'm sure the DD is providing some healthy competition for it.

    Personally, I prefer DD--I get a lot more coffee, with a lot more flavor (... or should I say, artificial flavoring and sugar? Not sure Starbucks is any better on the flavored coffee front, though, ha) for a lot less. Though it makes me a little sad to see corporate chains popping up all over the Corner (CVS, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Subway....), I can't say that I mind having my favorite snack available mere minutes from my apartment! Oh yeah--and fantastically cheap, delicious coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i loved this post! such an awesome video! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. They want to serve the best service to the customers and thus ask for the feedbacks.
    Thus they insist their customers say up their reviews on Dunkin’ Donuts Guest Experience
    Survey through the link provided telldunkin.com
    https://telldunkin.online/

    dunkinnation.com for product offers and news


    dunkinnation.com for product offers and news






    ReplyDelete