Monday, November 1, 2010

Munchies Monday: I'll Make You Banana Pancakes

A post about On-The-Go Breakfasts is in the works for the near future, but today’s Munchies Monday entry will focus on one specific breakfast staple: the PANCAKE.
When you have a little extra time between rolling out of your dorm bed and sitting down in morning psychology lecture, what sounds better than stuffing your tummy with syrup-soaked, starchy discs of goodness? Hot pancakes often seem like a treat to students used to bowls of cold cereal or quick slices of buttered toast. 

Pancakes have been around for quite some time, even before IHOPs existed (GASP!). The first pancake-like food was eaten by the Ancient Romans, a fried mix of milk, flour, eggs, and spices called Alita Dolica ("Another Sweet"). Medieval Europe brought us pancakes that better resemble the ones we eat today. In the US, pancakes are often called flapjacks, griddlecakes, or battercakes.

Whatever name you choose, there are a few ways to get your pancake fix:

Boxed pancake mixes (aka The Lazy Person’s Pancake)
Frozen/microwaveable pancakes (aka The Even Lazier Person’s Pancake)
Restaurant pancakes (For locals, I recommend trying out the pumpkin pancakes at The Friendly Toast in Cambridge)
And my favorite: Homemade, healthy pancakes! Whenever I want a healthified-version of a pancake, I turn to this recipe inspired by Kath’s creation. This banana oatmeal pancake has a simple ingredient list and only takes several minutes to make. Start by mixing together the following ingredients:
1/4 cup quick oats
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg white
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 mashed banana

Pour the batter onto a heated skillet…
Cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side…
Wait until it appears light brown...
 Top the pancake... (I usually nix the syrup and use a mashed banana)
Some other healthy topping ideas include microwaved blueberries, all-natural peanut butter, or unsweetened applesauce.


So take a cue from Jack Johnson: make some banana pancakes and pretend like it's the weekend now :-)



What’s your favorite type of pancake? Any recipe involving banana works for me!

Today’s Recommended Read: Will the Real Whole Wheat Please Stand Up? (Civil Eats)

6 comments:

  1. Love Jack Johnson!! And loving those pancakes! Looks good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute blog, very cute post! I just found you and I'm glad I did :) check me out at snackingonsunshine.com!

    Jack Johnson is one of my favorites. I love to play him in the morning while I'm lazing around. When it's the weekend though my music choices are a little more "HCORE" ;)
    My favorite pancakes are probably based off of that same recipe, but I sub spiced pumpkin purée for the banana. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The toast and eggs at The Friendly Toast are delicious too. It was the atmosphere that drew me in first, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pumpkin pancakes! They are so good. And I love the many ways you can top pancakes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fantastic...I have to check it everyday!! It is so fun and informative. I especially like the yellow whimsical designs in the background when I'm posting my comment. It can make a cold and cloudy day feel warm and sunny :)

    My favorite type of pancake is actually a homemade potato pancake with apple sauce and sour cream on top. But, those banana pancakes look so good-- I can't wait to try them! I will let you know when I do. Thanks for your blog. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I love the way you setup your blog. I am definitely making those banana pancakes. They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete