Friday, October 29, 2010

Frugal Friday: Seasonal Finds

First off: Happy Halloweekend all! I love all things Halloween: creative costumes, festive spirits, candy corn...
Since this is the only time of year that these pointed yellow-orange-and-white sugary treats are in stock, I definitely take the opportunity to indulge a bit. This leads us into today’s Frugal Friday topic: the financial benefits of buying seasonal foods.

Feeling a bit guilty over the latex Sarah Palin costume you just purchased (I hope not, Palin costumes are so last Halloween)? A good way to make nice with your wallet is to ease up on money spent in the grocery store by taking advantage of seasonal specials!

When foods, especially fresh fruits and veggies, are in greater supply, the costs tend to be lower. Seasonal food requires less effort to produce than out-of-season products because they don’t need as much labor and time.

In addition to lower costs, buying seasonal foods yields many benefits:
  • Seasonal foods can imply locality. Since these foods do not need to be flown in from across the country/world, the unhealthy environmental impact of transportation is lessened.
  • Seasonal foods often taste better since they were allowed to grow and ripen properly without being shipped over great distances.
  • Seasonal foods can be healthier, since out-of-season food is often forced to grow in artificial environments with the aid of fertilizer.
  • Experience new, interesting tastes and textures by trying what’s in season. Maybe you’ll realize an unknown love for roasted cauliflower!
Some autumn fruits/veggies include apples, beetroot, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, cranberries, grapes, lettuce, mushrooms, parsnips, pears, potatoes, pumpkin squash, tomatoes, and watercress.
Don’t feel like you have to suffer without your summer strawberries! Fall’s seasonal goodies yield so many delicious recipes. Doesn’t a hot loaf of pumpkin bread sound perfect? What about a fresh apple crisp? Sweet potato casserole? Roasted Squash?

One seasonal recipe I would love to try soon is Emily’s Roasted Squash and Black Bean Chili in Pumpkin Bowls dish. Until I find the time for that recipe, I’m pretty content snacking on these Fall finds:

What food are you happy to see in season right now?

Today’s Recommended Read: 5 Terrific Fall Foods (TLC Cooking)

6 comments:

  1. Happy Halloweekend! That's so true. I remember when Halloween was just one night! I'm still enjoying the apples I picked with my family 3 weeks ago. They definitely last so much longer than the store bought ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My roommates and I are on a definite pumpkin kick right now! There's a row of 6 pumpkins on our counter that we picked straight from the farm just waiting to be carved so we can enjoy fun faces, pumpkin seeds, and our ever favorite pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. And of course what appears to be the same variety pack of candy corn that makes for the perfect study munchy sitting on the coffee table :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read all your blogs.....at my age by the time I got to the last one, I forgot the first one......but they were interesting as I read them.....I leave all the cooking and food purchasing to my lovely wife

    ReplyDelete
  4. There really are so many benefits to buying seasonal. I can't wait to roast some squash!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to chime in on your point about the health benefits to seasonal food -While I was in Europe I noticed that foods were distinctly available or lacking even in the supermarkets based on seasonality. Americans would be so much healthier if we stopped importing everything all year round.

    Love your blog! Check out my take on a traditional Waldorf salad!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that you mention it, a hot loaf of pumpkin bread DOES sound perfect. I'm loving all the squash right now, even if it does take forever to cook.

    ReplyDelete