Monday, November 22, 2010

Munchies Monday: Breakfast Cereal Revamped

An easy breakfast choice for the busy college student is cold cereal. However, this simple choice can easily become an unhealthy indulgence.

Today’s Munchies Monday post examines what is in your cereal bowl, and what should be in your cereal bowl.
Many popular cereals actually contain unhealthy amounts of sugar, unnecessary ingredients, and a lack of nutritional value. Kellogg's Raisin Bran contains high-fructose corn syrup, 9 grams of sugar, and 350 mg of sodium. Kellogg’s Froot Loops contain 12 grams of sugar and less than 1 gram of fiber. General Mills Cocoa Puffs contains 12 grams of sugar, 1.5 grams of fat, and dessert-like ingredients (sugar, corn syrup, cocoa). At that rate, you might as well turn Oreos into a breakfast option. Oh wait…
The problem with such high sugar content in your cereal? Starting your day with a super sweet eat will spike your blood sugar level, causing a quicker crash and a greater tendency to reach for a mid-morning snack before your cereal bowl makes it out of the dishwasher.

My favorite breakfast cereals as a kid were Cocoa Krispies, Frosted Flakes, and Lucky Charms. As I got older and more “health-conscious,” I relied on Honey Nut Cheerios and Raisin Bran. Now, I have found the cereals that make me feel my best, providing me with energy to start my day without tasting like shredded cardboard.

I joke with my friends that I eat like an old lady, but I love these cereals! A typical cold breakfast for me is either FiberOne Cereal or Kashi GoLean Protein and High Fiber Cereal with a sliced banana and almond milk:
Other healthy cereal options include Grape Nuts, Health Valley Oat Bran Flakes, Shredded Wheat, Kashi GoLean Original, Barbara’s Original Puffins, and Kashi Heart to Heart.
What to look for in your cereal:
  • High Fiber: Look for at least 15% fiber per serving.
  • Whole Grains: Refined grains raise blood sugar levels and have basically no nutritional value.
  • Concise Ingredient List: Too many unpronounceable ingredients are good signs of bad cereals.
  • Low Sugar: Aim for below 5 grams of sugar per serving. Avoid high-fructose corn syrup, maple syrup, molasses, maltose, glucose, honey, and other forms of sugar.
  • Lack of Preservatives: BHA, BHT, and other unhealthy, added preservatives have actually been banned in other countries.
  • No Trans Fats: Hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated oil mean the cereal contains dangerous trans fats.
Extra tips for giving an EYC-boost to your cereal:
  • Stay close to the suggested serving size; it’s easy to over pour your cereal.
  • Use non-fat milk or almond milk, instead of milk with a higher fat content.
  • Add dried fruits to your bowl.
  • Add fresh fruit, like blueberries, strawberries, or sliced banana.
  • Top with heart-healthy nuts, like walnuts or chopped almonds.
What is your favorite breakfast cereal? Do you put fresh fruit in your cereal?

Today’s Recommended Read: Lightened Holiday Classics (CookingLight.com)

13 comments:

  1. I usually have oatmeal, but I recently re-fell in love with Quaker Oatmeal Squares.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I go with cereal it's usually Kashi Antioxidant, Heart to Heart, or just some brown rice crispies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE Kashi Go Lean crunch. My favorite way to have it is with vanilla soy milk, ground flax and a banana. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a huge fan of Kashi. I havent been able to eat it lately though bc I have thryoid issues and your not supposed to eat soy, but the crunch line is my favorite! I am also big into vita muffins. I know thats not cereal but there packed with fiber!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite breakfast cereal is Fitness by Nestle. Unfortunately, they don't carry it in the US, so every time I buy a different kind of cereal, in an effort to find something I really like. Still looking... I kinda like some, but still nothing that can compare to the crunchiness and light sweetness of Fitness...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My two favorites are Total and Quaker Oatmeal Squares. I usually mix it up with Special K Red Berries, Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds (the blue box), and Honey Nut Cheerios (I can't get past the dryness of regular cheerios).

    I joke with my friends that I eat like an old lady also! Especially since my boyfriend puts away bowl after bowl of Frosted Flakes like it's his job ... while I munch on my Total.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Lisa I've been meaning to give vitamuffins a try! My roommate loves them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I was little my mom had a rule that we could only buy cereal if sugar wasn't the first of second ingredient. I hated the rule then but I thank my mom now because I don't have a sugary cereal addiction!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you have no idea how much i love cereal, i've had it probably every day for the past 5 years! i do look for fibre and whole grains (although that doesn't guarantee it's not coated in sugar.) my favourite is definitely muesli. i use in it muffins too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote steel cut oatmeal with banana and blueberry. Try it. You'll like it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Angela (the diet book junkie) Ooh I will have to give muesli a try. I agree, I love cereal :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love my Frosted Mini Wheats. A little high in sugar, but they do the trick keeping me going through class all day! With a glass of orange juice I am good to go! We've gotten so much healthier since our bagel days with Jeff :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. @K Haha, oh Bagel Days, how I miss thee...

    ReplyDelete