Monday, November 15, 2010

Munchies Monday: Homemade Veggie Spring Rolls

Today's Munchies Monday post is inspired by a few of my food loves: Chinese cuisine, Giada's show on the Food Network, and experimenting in the kitchen.

Freshman year of college, I was a frequent visitor to this establishment in my student center's food court:
I ate so many Panda Bowls and egg rolls that year, and I had the saved fortune cookie strips pinned to my bulletin board to prove it! Anyone know the Food and Nutrition Board's Recommended Daily Allowance of Chinese food? ;-)

Although sometimes I wished Panda Express could be its own mandatory food group, a daily consumption of a deep-fried egg roll soaked in sodium-rich soy sauce is not exactly the most nutritious choice. Now, I won't turn away an occasional Panda Express roll, but there is an EYC-approved alternative!

On a recent episode of Giada At Home, this Food Network chef presented an easy recipe for a Fruit Spring Roll. Using rice paper, Pad Thai noodles, strawberries, mango, and almonds, she threw together this delicious segment:
Inspired by Giada's recipe and driven by my affinity for veggie egg rolls, I decided to create a savory version of her recipe. The results were DELICIOUS! If you're looking for a fresh, healthy, easy dish, look no further than...

EYC's Veggie Spring Roll Recipe
Ingredients:
  • Rice Paper Wrappers
  • Carrots
  • Red & Yellow Bell Peppers
  • Cucumber
  • Bean Sprouts
Directions:
  1. Slice the carrots, bell peppers, and cucumber into thin strips about 3" long.
  2. Prepare a large bowl with a small amount of lukewarm water. Submerge a rice paper wrapper in the water for 30 seconds. Delicately remove the softened wrapper and place on a moistened towel (to prevent the wrapper from sticking to the surface).
  3. Place a small amount of sliced veggies in the left side of the wrapper.
  4. Fold over the top and bottom of the wrapper. Starting on the left side roll the wrapper so the veggies are tucked tightly inside. The moistness of the wrapper will allow the roll to seal shut.
  5. Allow the roll to dry. Repeat the steps until you have created the appropriate number of rolls (How many delicious, healthy spring rolls is too many?). Refrigerate until you are ready to serve them.

Easy, right? To enjoy the EYC Spring Rolls, I dipped them in a reduced sodium soy sauce. Next time, I think I'll try Anne's recipe for homemade Thai Spicy Peanut Chili Sauce.

Have you ever tried out or been inspired by a recipe from a cooking show?

Today's Recommended Read: Deciphering the Ingredients Label (The Huffington Post)

9 comments:

  1. I have to try these! And I just e-mailed the post to my sister and her boyfriend, they are nuts about spring rolls! Can't wait for your next post on Thai Spicy Peanut Chili Sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look delicious! You just reminded me that I have a huge package of rice paper wraps in my cupboard!
    THank you for your comment on my post: I posted a response here http://www.dontwhitesugarcoatit.com/2010/11/me-first.html
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must get rice paper! I hear great things about making your own veggie rolls and I love them when I go out, so why not bring them home??

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your veggie spring rolls look awesome and delicious! Giada makes everything seem easy to make but I'm not sure I would like those fruit rolls. Whenever I make something that I find on the web I always look at the comments section before I start to see how others tweaked the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Different rolls, but look the same deeeliciousss :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad I stumbled upon your blog. These look delicious! I will definitely make them!

    Oh, and I added you to my blog roll. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds delicious and healthy, too. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am constantly inspired by Giada. She's great!! This looks delicious. I have used rice paper before in many recipes and I never fail to be pleased.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty sure I OD'd on Panda Express in college! LOL
    your spring rolls look much healthier- and delicious!

    ReplyDelete