Monday, November 29, 2010

Munchies Monday: Best-Bet Energy Bars

While I was home for Thanksgiving break, my brother walked in with the following purchase:
My brother does exercise a lot and often doesn’t have time for food preparation, so the PowerBars seem like a decent way to fuel up. However, it got me thinking; are “energy bars” and “nutrition bars” really good for you? Or are they simply the edible version of unhealthy energy drinks and candy bars in disguise?

Hence, today’s Munchies Monday post is all about energy bars.

I started my research on these fat-, protein-, and carb-packed bars at—where else—Wikipedia. I found this fact particularly interesting: “The first energy bar in the American marketplace was Space Food Sticks which Pillsbury Company created in the late 1960s to capitalize on the popularity of the space program.”

Space Food Sticks? Intrigued, I decided to do a little more digging. According to spacefoodsticks.com, Pillsbury developed long, chewy, edible sticks that could fit into an astronaut’s helmet for emergency consumption. They decided to sell them commercially, touting them as a “non-frozen balanced energy snack in rod form containing nutritionally balanced amounts of carbohydrate, fat and protein.” After a brief production hiatus beginning in the mid-70s, these gimmicky bars are back on shelves, currently being sold at the Kennedy Space Center, Smithsonian Air & Space Museum, the Johnson Space Center, the Museum of Flight, Disney World, and other locations.

I was even able to find an old TV commercial for the Space Food Sticks on YouTube. Tell me these don’t look appetizing: (HA! Jokes.)
Now there are a plethora of energy bar brands in the marketplace, such as Clif Bar, Promax, Tiger’s Milk, Power Bar, ProMax, Labrada, Power Harvest and more.

The different ways people use these bars include:
Pre-Workout Fuel (sufficient carbs)
Post-Workout Food (high in protein)
Meal Replacement (lots of fat, protein, and carbs)

If you decide to eat these bars, here are some tips for purchasing relatively good ones:

  • Watch the sugar content. Some nutrition bars contain more sugar than a Snickers bar.
  • Don’t go carb crazy. Unless you are a professional athlete or a bodybuilder, you don’t need that much carb-driven fuel.
  • A decent fiber content will help you feel fuller longer while getting in some of your fiber RDA.
  • Check the calories. Unless you’re attempting to replace a meal, try to find snack bars under 200 calories.
A closer look at my brother’s purchases showed that the PowerBars contained the following ingredients:
CHOCOLATEY COATING (SUGAR, FRACTIONATED PALM KERNEL OIL, COCOA, WHEY, NONFAT MILK, SOY LECITHIN, NATURAL VANILLA FLAVOR), CORN SYRUP, CARAMEL (CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, CREAM, WATER, FRUCTOSE, PALM OIL, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, DISODIUM PHOSPHATE, NATURAL FLAVOR, CARRAGEENAN), TRISOURCE™ PROTEIN BLEND (WHEY PROTEIN ISOLATE, CALCIUM CASEINATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE), MALTITOL SYRUP, VEGETABLE GLYCERIN, OAT FIBER, SOY CRISPS (SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE, TAPIOCA STARCH, SALT), DRY ROASTED PEANUTS, HIGH OLEIC CANOLA OIL, ALKALIZED COCOA, AND LESS THAN 2% OF ALMOND BUTTER, NATURAL FLAVORS, SOY LECITHIN, SALT, PEANUT FLOUR

While the company’s website boasts, “The nuts, oat bran and 10–11g protein deliver nutritious, long lasting energy and muscle-building power,” I’m not too keen about all that corn syrup and sugar content. If you’re not looking for a major power boost, but rather want a snack-size bar, I recommend trying mini Lara Bars, mini Luna Bars, or mini Clif Bars:

Mini Larabars
The raw ingredient list in these bars is so impressive. There are only a few ingredients, usually nuts, fruit, and spices, and absolutely no chemicals or added sugars. Flavors include Cherry Pie, Cashew Cookie, and Apple Pie. (90 Calories, 2 g Dietary Fiber, 3 g Protein)

Luna Minis
These bite-size bars contain calcium, folic acid, iron, and protein, and are 70% organic. Flavors include Chocolate, S’mores Caramel Nut Brownie, White Chocolate Macadamia, Peanut Butter Cookie and LemonZest. (80 Calories, 2 g Dietary Fiber, 4 g Protein)

Mini Clif Bars
These on-the-go bars are made with all-natural, 70% organic ingredients, and contain 23 vitamins and minerals. Flavors include Crunchy Peanut Butter, Chocolate Chip, Chocolate Brownie, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut, Blueberry Crisp and Chocolate Chip Peanut Crunch. (100 Calories, 2 g Dietary Fiber, 4 g Protein)

Ideally, you should try to maintain a balanced diet by eating as many unprocessed foods as possible. If you can, ditch the bars and grab an apple with peanut butter, a whole-wheat bagel, or some low-fat yogurt.

Do you eat “energy/nutrition bars?” If so, do you have any recommendations?


Today's Recommended Read: A Stale Food Fight (NYTimes.com)

13 comments:

  1. Love this blog entry and the video...brings back happy memories of my childhood. I ate those space food sticks as a kid!! We thought we were so cool...just like astronauts!!

    I don't eat energy nutrition bars ...sorry:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, thanks for letting me know you did a whole post on this. Yea, I hardly ever reach for bars...especially when I'm home from college. Usually I have one in my backpack for emergency but that's about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes eat energy bars, but not as often as I used to. I used to eat a lot of Luna bars but got tired of them.

    I need to try the Larabars and Cliff Bars!

    The Space Food Sticks made me laugh! I have to try and buy one when I go to the Kennedy Space Center next. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love Luna bars when I was running cross country, but I was burning so many calories they were a pre-workout snack to keep me from passing out! Now I love the Go-Lean Crunch bars by Kashi. Low calorie, low fat, high protein! I'm going to double check the sugar though. You should try them! I think you would like them! Great post Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SPACE FOOD STICKS???? THAT IS TOO FUNNY!! My all time favorite bars are Larabars-so good tasty and so healthy for you! I am also a big fan of luna and clif bars-they're like a cookie for me! with protein and whole grains! Peppermint stick or brownie win me over everytime, and I do stock pile the holiday clif bars ;)

    you're blog's great-always glad to find another BU health foodie! we should get coffee sometime! good luck wrapping up your classes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Lunabars! They're usually my go-to when I'm running late and absolutely have to grab something to eat. They do taste a little funky if you're not used to it, but I kind of like that...

    I also love anything by Kashi, but their products tend to be on the pricier side because of being organic, etc, etc... and I'm usually on a budget so I just buy some bars for when I really don't have time to eat anything else.

    Anyway, really informative post--I'm going to have to take another look at what's really in these bars.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. So my family gets several of the products you mentioned on a regular basis, and I have also looked at what is actually in these things.
    I for one have never been a huge fan of Luna bars, but have had several Balance and Power Bars. They are good for energy for work outs ( or if you are like my brother and trying to gain wait... which not many of us are haha) but I think the biggest mistake with protein bars is to view them like a little snack. Cause if you look at the back of the labels you see they have sooooooooo much in them. Thanks for all the info jenny!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really good idea for a college focused blog. MIT doesn't have the best dining options and with a busy lifestyle I usually find myself reaching for the easiest target - the energy bar. I usually go for the Luna bars and powerbars especially when I was working out more. Its good to keep in mind that while the concept is good nothing really is an easy fix. I do like the idea of the mini Luna bars. I haven't tried those yet but I will definitely look for those on my next shopping trip. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great tips! I love Larabars, Clif bars, and my own DIY protein bars!

    http://lilveggiepatch.com/2010/08/28/chococolate-pumpkin-protein-bars/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know about the spacebar. This is actually interesting :-)
    I don't eat too many bars, especially the protein bars because I find them way too sweet for me. If I am stuck somewhere without other source of food, I guess I would choose the larabars.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @K I'm a Kashi fan as well. I particularly like their Honey Almond Flax bars as an on-the-go snack.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lara bars are good but a bit too sweet for me- and yes, high in fat. But I like that they are REAL ingredients. I like to make my own bars since I can gauge what goes in them... but Lara bars are usually my bar of choice when purchasing.

    And yeah, most are just candy bars in disguise. Like how they make them mini... so they're less calories, sugar, and fat- and you're still hungry after you eat them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Lori True, it's best if you have time for a "real" meal. I'm always impressed by those who find the time and motivation to make their own bars!

    ReplyDelete