Friday, November 12, 2010

Frugal Friday: Frozen Foods

TGIF! With my big exam behind me and the weekend ahead of me, things are looking pretty good over here! While the weather is warming up a bit in Boston (I mean, at least the sun is out today?), today's post is actually going to cool things down. This Frugal Friday piece will highlight the financial (and nutritional) benefits of taking advantage of your fridge's loyal companion: the FREEZER.
There are few foodie nightmares worse than having a bag of delicious fresh produce going bad before you have the chance to eat it. I shed a couple tears (sorry for the dramatics, I am a theatre minor after all) as I tossed out a forgotten, rotting apple the other day. Last week, I reluctantly tossed out the last few slices of my bread when I discovered patches of mysterious green fuzz on them. Not only was I wasting food, but I was also wasting the money I spent on those purchases.
The EYC solution? Using the freezer to increase the longevity of your food purchases! A great way to be frugal is to buy bags of frozen fruits and veggies, or place your fresh bread and produce purchases in the freezer. The following fruit, veggie, and bread tips will set you on the right path to becoming a Professional Food-Freezer! (There's a career for everything these days...)

General freezer tips:
  • Regularly defrost your freezer, not letting the amount of ice accumulation to exceed 1/4 of an inch. Defrosting will help the freezer maintain the correct temperature and minimize energy waste.
  • Overpacking your freezer can prevent proper temperature maintenance, so don't go overboard with the frozen goodies.
  • For the energy-conscious individuals, purchase freezers with new energy-saving features (like proper insulation materials) to reduce your electricity consumption.
Fruits
  • Most fruits retain their high quality for 8 to 12 months at 0 degrees or below.
  • Fruit is best served still partially frozen. Frozen fruit thawed entirely can become mushy because of cell wall damage from ice crystals.
  • Smoothies are a great way to use frozen fruit.
  • I like to munch on a handful of frozen mango chunks as a quick and healthy dessert.
Vegetables
  • Frozen vegetables have a higher vitamin content than refrigerator-stored veggies.
  • Fresh veggies travel a long distance, losing their benefits. Frozen veggies are treated just a few hours after being picked.
  • Frozen vegetables can easily be steamed, stir-fried, or microwaved. 
  • I sneak in an side of veggies at dinner by steaming some frozen broccoli and cauliflower in the microwave.
Breads
  • Freeze, don't refrigerate. Refrigerated bread will go stale faster than bread left out at normal temperature.
  • Freeze your bread in a plastic bag, making sure to squeeze out the excess air first. The original wrapping for your bread wrappers is probably not meant for the freezer.
  • Frozen bread can contain fewer additives than fresh bread since the process of freezing acts as a natural preservative.
  • I tend to make cucumber, tomato, spinach, and hummus sandwiches on frozen bread in the morning. By the time lunch rolls around, my packed sandwich is thawed and the veggies are still cold.

What's in your freezer right now? Who else has tearfully tossed out a forgotten fresh produce item?


Today's Recommended Read: Benefits of a Good Night's Sleep (Cooking Light)

7 comments:

  1. yo, so this has nothing to do with this post but ive wanted to mention that i miss the background you used to have. although the enjoy your cheerios written in cheerios looks pretty cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always keep the sandwich bread in our freezer because it is so much easier to make and slice a pb and j sandwiches when the bread is frozen:)

    Right now I'm making vegetarian chili and while it is simmering thought I check your blog. How appropriate that you would talk about freezing because I made enough for two more meals so I will be freezing some of it for another day. Maybe for the Sunday after Thanksgiving :)

    I threw away a banana this morning...Sorry banana :( Should have saved it in the freezer and made a smoothie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never thought of preparing a sandwich on frozen bread - usually I defrost my frozen bread and then make a sandwich for school. Thanks! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, seriously, does that work to make your veggie sandwich on frozen bread? If so, I am totally doing this from now on! How do you pack it so the bread does not get soggy as it defrosts? I have a ton of bananas in my freezer right now and a lot of flours too since I have to keep so many gluten free flours around. I hate throwing food away, so my lunches mostly consist of finding out what is on it's last leg.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Sarena Shasteen - The Non-Dairy Queen
    It really does work! I've never had a soggy sandwich (just to be sure to use hearty whole wheat bread slices!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another GREAT use for a freezer that I have been utilizing this busy semester is making meals that freeze well, like chili (http://bit.ly/9hRyDg) or pasta sauces. Much healthier than the go to lean cuisine so many of my classmates have been resorting to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha, great question! I have frozen cookies, frozen bananas, and freezer packs! Lol since going vegan I don't use the freezer that much!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete