Sunday, November 28, 2010

Frugal Friday: College Discounts in Boston


First off, apologies for the tardy post! I’ve been really diligent about posting every weekday, but with the recent holiday, this Frugal Friday post is clearly not up on time.

Something I’ve learned during my time in Boston—a city that houses over 35 colleges—is that when in doubt, present your college ID card. So many restaurants, retailers, museums, theatres, even hair cutters have student discounts available.
Although there are a ton of free things to do in Beantown, if you’re a college student looking to open your wallet without totally emptying the contents, here are some frugal opportunities:

“The John F. Kennedy Presidential Library and Museum's core function is to collect, preserve, and make available for research the documents, audiovisual material and memorabilia of President Kennedy, his family, and his contemporaries.”
Open 7 days per week, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
College ID: $10.00 (Savings: $2.00)

“Visit the Skywalk Observatory, Boston's only sky-high vantage point for sweeping 360 degree views of Greater Boston and beyond. Let your eyes and ears do the walking as you experience the exclusive state-of-the-art.”
Open 7 days a week. Winter Hours are 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. November 1 - March 28.
College ID: $10.00 (Savings: $2.00)

“The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum is at once an intimate collection of fine and decorative art and a vibrant, innovative venue for contemporary artists, musicians and scholars. Housed in a stunning 15th-century Venetian-style palace with three stories of galleries surrounding a sun- and flower-filled courtyard, the Museum provides an unusual backdrop for the viewing of art.”
Tue.-Sun., 11 am-5 pm
College ID: $5.00 (Savings: $10.00!)
*Also, receive free admission on your birthday or a $2 discount if you’re wearing Red Sox paraphernalia (Isabella was a Red Sox fan!).

Movie theatre…enough said.
College ID on Thursdays: $8.75 (Savings: $2.00)

Fancy shmancy clothing.
10% off total purchase discount for students

“FiRE + iCE Grill + Bar is a smokin’ hot restaurant showcasing an incredible variety of fresh food, cooked on our open grill in a fun, refreshing atmosphere. Select from a delectable array of fresh meats, seafood, vegetables, and pasta available in our in-house market place. Choose the types of internationally inspired sauce to add to your entrée. Dictate grilling preferences as you watch our grill chefs expertly work their magic on our huge open grill.”
Monday College Nights: unlimited dinner for $9.95

“Boston Symphony Orchestra offers a College Card during the regular season.  For only $25, attend up to 15 select performances.  A limited number of College Card tickets are available on certain performance dates, usually Tuesday and Thursdays.  All tickets must be picked up in person with a valid student ID and College Card the day of the performance.”
           
“College students can get Aquarium admission tickets for $19.95,  (Adult: $21.95) buy tickets for standard presentations at the Simons IMAX Theatre for only $7.95 and get an Aquarium/IMAX combo ticket for $25.95.”

Hilarious mprovisational comedy shows.
College ID: $7.00

Have any of you Bostonians visited these places?

Today’s Recommended Read: How To Eat Healthy While You Travel (ThatsFit.com) 

13 comments:

  1. I really want to go to college in Boston! It looks like theres so much to do. I love Boston. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Going to school in Boston defenitely has it's perks :) I need to check out the Skywalk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't go to school in Boston, but I think this is a great tip for any college student in any city.

    I would love to go to Boston! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @thesingingrunner Absolutely! College IDs work wonders sometimes. I believe the J Crew discount is available at most locations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to go to Boston!! I hope your having a great weekend, Glamista!!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!!
    Luna Bar is giving away free lunabars on BU Marsh Plaza today at 11:40-come!

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Elizabeth Jarrard I wish I could but I won't be free then. Sigh. I'll see if one of my roommates can swing by and maybe grab some extras :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh, I wish I would have read your blog before going to Boston! I didn't check out any of these places when I went. :(
    That is so neat how many student discounts you get.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been out of college for a good bit, but I still have my college ID card and will use it for discounts certain places. I guess its one of the good things about looking so much younger than I am. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun Haha, clever! That brings "fake ID" to a new level.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally didn't know about Improv Boston. I am looking it up and I will definitely be heading to North End!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I went to the aquarium for the first time a couple of months ago for community day. It was FREE check it out: http://jacquinnwilliams.com/2010/11/21/the-new-england-aquarium/

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Dating Boston Pretty sure one of the few things better than a discounted admission is a free one :)

    ReplyDelete