Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Whatever Wednesday: A Passion for Painting

Would you believe I'm writing this from my airport terminal? LOVE free Wi-Fi at the airport! I'm pretty early for my flight, but I'd rather wait comfortably at my gate than rush around at the last moment.

Speaking of loves, today's Whatever Wednesday post is about pursuing your passions. EYC is a "healthy living blog;" to me, healthy living does not just entail eating 5+ servings of veggies a day or hitting up the gym now and then. One of the keys to feeling your best is to do something every day that excites you. Whether enrolling in a college course you are passionate about or taking up a hobby that you constantly look forward to, pursuing your interests can cut down on stress and improve your attitude

One of my personal passions is art. I took my very first basic design class this semester, but otherwise I have never taken an art class. What I know I learned from museum visits, gallery viewings, art history studies, and just experimenting on my own. I'll sketch in school notebooks, create pastel still-lifes for my room, draw colorful birthday cards...only this week did I truly dabble in paint.

Recently, some friends of a friend asked me to create a painting for their apartment. They requested a flowery design in specific colors, large enough to cover some ugly mirrors stuck on their wall by a previous tenant. Since they were covering supply costs and I was basically finished with classes before Thanksgiving break, I spent the other night turning the corner of my apartment into a makeshift painter's studio.

Step 1: Sketching options for my commissioners (he he), who decided on this design:

Step 2: Creating a more polished draft with colored markers:

Step 3: Mixing colors and painting...

and painting...
and painting for 5 hours.

Step 4: Voila!

Although it took up a good chunk of my time, I thoroughly enjoyed painting this piece. Something about mixing acrylics and washing brushes is so relaxing.

What hobby helps you de-stress?

Today's Recommended Read: Popcorn's Dark Secret (NYTimes)

11 comments:

  1. That is a beautiful painting! Those are some lucky friends!! Hope you signed it...it's going to be worth a lot of money one day:)

    My hobby that de-stresses me is baking! I just love it when a my family enjoys my baking. That's why I just finished baking some more mandelbread for them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful painting! :) I wish I could paint, but I'm not too good with the visual side of arts.

    Besides running, singing, and blogging, baking helps me de-stress. It's a way for me to be creative and my friends get to enjoy the fruits of my labor. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are amazing!!! I am in love with the freshness behind your work! I will need to get my hands on an original "enjoy your cheerios" painting very soon....

    the colours are beautiful!

    I love that you found a passion that soothes and calms you like this. so freaking cool! Rock it sister!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish i was that awesome at painting

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does watching football count as a hobby?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I completely agree that healthy living isn't just about food and fitness.
    You are very talented. That looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a beautiful painting--you are very talented and even more impressive since have never taken classes! You should post more of your paintings/drawings. Btw, haven't had a chance to write a comment before, but this blog is awesome and addictive! Keep up the great job! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Cleo Thanks for your nice comment! I have some drawings of food...I feel like those could be relevant to this blog so keep an eye out for those! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow Jenny...I have always known how artistic you are...the painting is really beautiful! And your blog is very thoughtful! I will look forward to reading lots more!

    ReplyDelete