Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Whatever Wednesday: Running a 5K

Most college students are familiar with the old adage, “Exercise gives you endorphins. Endorphins make you happy. Happy people just don't shoot their husbands, they just don’t.”
Maybe that’s not exactly an old adage...but Elle Woods makes a valid point. When the stress of schoolwork, relationships, and life in general piles on, sometimes a good sweat sesh is just what the doctor ordered. Exercise is not only an excellent way to boost one’s mood, but it can also lead to weight loss, improved cardiovascular health, enhanced bone health, and better coordination (and apparently less of a desire to shoot one's husband). My new favorite way to exercise is pretty old school: running.  Today's Whatever Wednesday post highlights my recent experience running a 5K and why you should consider running one as well.

I understand the idea of running might be traumatic to some. Perhaps you are even having a flashback to that crazy gym teacher yelling at you to run faster around that miserable track Sue-Sylvester-style:
While the elliptical and rowing machines are fine exercise vehicles, I have found that few workouts have been more satisfying to me than a good jog, preferably outdoors. Living in Boston provides a variety of beautiful locations for runners: trails through the Boston Commons, a sprawling esplanade, college campus tracks, and more.


Once I got comfortable running for fun, I decided to take a risk and train for an actual race.  Signing up for a race can give you the extra motivation to train to reach your goal, as well as a specific event to anticipate. A little over three miles is an attainable number.

The first step is finding an organized race. The website www.runningintheusa.com--the largest online directory of races, results and clubs--led me to The Somerville 5K Road Race. Hosted by the Somerville Homeless Coalition, this fundraising event attracts almost 1,000 participants every year.
I followed a training plan I found at www.runnersworld.com. Taking 1 or 2 rest days a week and 1 or 2 days to do strength training, my run schedule looked like this:
Finally the big day came. I took the T to Davis Square, pinned on my number, and joined the crowd waiting at the starting line. My goal was to finish in under 30 minutes. With adrenaline rushing through my body, I completed the first mile faster than usual (in 7:45), eventually finding my comfortable pace for the last 2.1 miles. Before I knew it, I was crossing the finish line, surpassing my goal by finishing in 27:03.  My lungs were burning from the brisk air, my legs were sore, and my breathing was still rapid, but I was still all smiles after completing my very first 5K race. The sense of accomplishment and the knowledge that my efforts supported a good cause were extremely gratifying. (The free cornbread given to the runners afterwards was pretty awesome too...)
If you're in the Boston area and looking for another fun 5K option, the Freedom Trail 5K is a low-key, all-ages-welcomed run that stops at interesting locations along Boston's historical Freedom Trail. 
For a $30 fee, my friend and I participated over the summer and had a blast meeting new people and seeing Beantown treasures.  The run ends with a relaxing ferry ride in Boston Harbor (and a group photo!).
Whether you sign up for a timed race, take part in a sight-seeing run, or just feel like grabbing your iPod and taking a jog, running is a great way to embrace a healthy living attitude. Before you know it, you'll be ready to tackle the Boston Marathon ;-)
These articles are helpful resources for those interested in 5K events:

And these posts from my favorite bloggers describe some of their 5K experiences:

Have you ever run a 5K before? Do you prefer organized races or just running for fun?

1 comment: