Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Whatever Wednesday: Happy Chanukah!

Is it really December already? Where did November go? Where did this semester go?? Where did TIME go???

The only fact more surprising than the new month's arrival is that Chanukah started tonight. Last year, the first night occurred on December 11th. This year, the menorah and dreidels need to be brought out of hiding quite a bit earlier. Can you tell my mind was on Chanukah while I should've been taking notes for class today:

Therefore, today's Whatever Wednesday post serves to wish a happy holiday to those who also celebrate Chanukah! (Hanukkah? Hanuka? Meh...)

No first night of Chanukah is complete without some yummy latkes. I attended "Latkepalooza" tonight, an event hosted by my university that offered free latkes, gelt, donuts, veggies, cider, and other goodies to all attendees. I gobbled up four latkes (potato pancakes) with apple sauce, tried the sufganiyot (donuts...these ones were much too sweet for me though), and enjoyed a hot apple cider.

It's always a bummer to be away from family on holidays (who else thinks colleges should give students a break for Chanukah? ;-)), but at least I got some traditional cooked goodies without having to break out my own frying pan.

However, my mom did send me this super easy recipe for making latkes:
Rather than grate potatoes from scratch, this recipe just requires me to buy a ready-to-use package of hash browns. The short ingredient list and easy instructions just might have convinced me to try out this recipe later this week. After all, I have 8 crazy nights before Chanukah ends...

Sorry, I had to! :-)

To those celebrating, Happy 1st Night of Chanukah!


Anyone else feel like November flew by? Have you ever tried a latke? Any recipe suggestions?


Today's Recommended Read: 5 All-Natural Cold Cures (Woman's Day)

12 comments:

  1. the recipe you posted i would assume would be very delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Chanukah Jenny! This is definitely one of my favorite holidays! Tonight I also made "semi-homemade" for the first time! Fun to make...delicious but very sweet! Instead of frying you bake them :)

    Baked Sugar Doughnuts
    Fresh, warm doughnuts from easy refrigerated Pillsbury® biscuits!
    Prep Time: 15 Min
    Total Time: 30 Min
    Makes: 10
    INGREDIENTS:
    1can (7.5 oz) Pillsbury® refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
    3tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
    1/3cup sugar

    DIRECTIONS:
    Heat oven to 375°F.
    Separate dough into 10 biscuits; flatten each to a 2 1/2-inch round. With 1-inch round biscuit cutter, cut hole in center of each round. Dip all sides of biscuits and centers into butter, then into sugar. Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
    Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Monica Thanks for the recipe! Watch out Dunkin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jenny, I made the Simply Potatoes latkes tonight and they were delish!!! Love your blog! So much useful information! Happy Hanukkah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh so fun! thanks for this link!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was at latkepalooza too!! the sweet potato latkes were so good! can't belive i missed ya- what time did you go?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Chanukah. I have never had latkes but they sound amazing!! November totally flew by! I am loving your blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe how fast November flew by! I have to get on my holiday shopping!!!!
    Happy Chanukah! Thinks for sharing a traditional food with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. November went by soooo quickly! I didn't even know yesterday was the first day of December until mid-day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Chanukah! Seriously, this entire just flew by, so busy and hectic. And still I am not done with what needed to be done...

    ReplyDelete
  11. November definitely flew by and I just know that December will go by quickly too! I kinda want a latke right now...

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Abbe Good to know! I could tell they were easy to make but I wasn't sure how yummy they'd be. Glad you like the blog :)

    ReplyDelete