Friday, December 3, 2010

Thirsty Thursday: Fruit Juice, Worth the Sugar?

This post was inspired by my afternoon snack. I just enjoyed the sweetest apple—the kind that requires a nearby napkin because it’s so gosh darn deliciously juicy. It made me realize that when it comes to beverages, I basically just stick to water and tea, never buying apple juice or other fruit juices. I thought this was rather odd, since I grew up drinking a glass of orange juice practically every morning. I strictly stuck to the no-pulp Tropicana variety.
Am I missing out on an important healthy beverage by missing liquid forms of fruit in my diet? Hence, today’s (slightly late) Thirsty Thursday post will look at the pros and cons of drinking fruit juices.
While trading in soft drinks for fruit juices is definitely a step in the right direction, my internet digging seems to yield the consensus that only certain juices have health benefits.

Since apples, oranges, and other fruits naturally contain a lot of sugar in the form of fructose, 100% juices can contain the same amount of sugar as certain sodas. Juices that are less than 100% juice may contain high-fructose corn syrup that leads to the same amount of sugar content.

There are definite perks to drinking your fruits. Juices are a convenient way to get your recommended daily serving of fruits and veggies. A 4-ounce, 100% fruit juice glass equals one serving of fruit. Many juices contain disease-fighting phytonutrients and cleansing antioxidants, and provide fluid replenishment.

Here are some healthy fruit juice suggestions:

  • Pomegranate Juice: This antioxidant-rich drink is linked to heart health.
  • Concord Grape Juice: Similar benefits as pomegranate juice, plus reduced blood pressure.
  • Cranberry Juice: This Vitamin C-packed drink can decrease risk of urinary tract infections.
  • Fortified Orange Juice: Many OJs are fortified with calcium, a good option for those who don’t drink a lot of milk (guilty!).

However, grabbing a whole piece of fruit is even healthier than pouring a cold glass of OJ. Juice provides a much lower amount of fiber than whole fruits. One glass of OJ requires ten oranges; if you’re concerned with calories, eating one orange is a better option.

One thing’s for sure; steer clear of “fruit drinks!” They contain very little actual fruit juice, but rather are full of chemicals, preservatives, colorings, and other nutrient-lacking additions. Basically, go for the 100% juices or grab a whole fruit. As always, moderation is the key!

My personal conclusion is that I’m not missing out on anything by skipping over the Tropicana aisle, but a healthy amount of fruit juice is not necessarily a bad diet addition. After all, it’s hard to resist those classic Welch’s Grape Juice ads…

Are you a fruit juice lover? Do you like "pulp" or "no pulp" when it comes to OJ?

Today’s Recommended Read: The Biggest Food Trends for 2011 (Boston Globe)

8 comments:

  1. I don't drink a lot of juices. Like you, I stick to teas and water!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not big on fruit juices either, which is strange as I also used to have them a lot as a kid! But whenever I do, it's pulp all the way! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post love!! I do like certain juices....growing up I loved apple juice, but realized it was so much sugar for me and then I wouldn't drink much water.

    I do take 2oz. of MonaVie in the morning and night for my antioxidants and other nutrients plus a way to "regulate" the womanly times ;) Thats all the juice I have!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a fruit juice person! I definitely would rather eat my fruit -- it's more satisfying and fun! Although I've been loving the trader joes apple pear cider. Soooo good warm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @squigglefloeyNever heard of apple pear cider before, but I do love regular apple cider. I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm at TJ's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Pulp!
    Favorite juice...it's a homemade one...we call it "Crimson Orange" it is the combination of Orange Juice and Cranberry Juice..and it's so pretty, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Drink green tea instead. It's healthy, sugar-free, and a warm start to a cold day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loooove my OJ. But I had no clue about half the stuff you just posted--look at you, teaching me something new every time I come here!

    And for the record--"some pulp" is perfect :-)

    ReplyDelete